Forbes 2010 Rich List – The World’s Billionaires
The Forbes 2010 Rich List is out, the current list of the world’s billionaires. Bill Gates is once again upstaged as the world’s riches man this time by Mexican telecoms tycoon Carlos Slim with a total net worth of $53.5 Billion, knocking Microsoft founder Bill Gates into second spot at $53.0 Billion, quite a slim margin. Warren Buffet drops to No 3 at $47 Billion. It is only the second time since 1995 that Gates has lost the crown, said the magazine.
Mike Adenuga seems to be missing from the list due to the non listing of Globacom in the Nigerian Stock Market.
Forbes 2010 Rich List net worths were calculated using share prices and exchange rates from February 12, 2010.
Here is Forbes ranking of the 20 richest people in the world:
1. Carlos Slim (Mexico) – $US53.5 billion, telecommunications
2. Bill Gates (USA) – $US53 billion, Microsoft
3. Warren Buffett (USA) – $US47 billion, Berkshire Hathaway
4. Mukesh Ambani (India) – $US29 billion, petrochemicals, oil and gas
5. Lakshmi Mittal (India) – $US28.7 billion, steel
6. Larry Ellison (USA) – $US28 billion, Oracle
7. Bernard Arnault (France) – $US27.5 billion, LVMH
8. Eike Batista (Brazil) – $US27 billion, mining, oil
9. Amancio Ortega (Spain) – $US25 billion, retail
10. Karl Albrecht (Germany) – $US23.5 billion, supermarkets
11. Ingvar Kamprad & family (Sweden) – $US23 billion, Ikea
12. Christy Walton & family (USA) – $US22.5 billion, Walmart
13. Stefan Persson (Sweden) – $US22.4 billion, Hennes & Mauritz
14. Li Ka-shing (Hong Kong) – $US21 billion, diversified
15. Jim Walton (USA) – $US20.7 billion, Walmart
16. Alice Walton (USA) – $US20.6 billion, Walmart
17. Liliane Bettencourt (France) – $US20 billion, L’Oreal
18. S. Robson Walton (USA) – $US19.8 billion, Walmart
19. Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Alsaud (Saudi Arabia) – $US19.4 billion, investments
20. David Thomson & family (Canada) – $US19 billion, news and information company Thomson Reuters
He also writes for Punch AM Business, Leadership & Lifestyle and Today’s Lifeline magazines.